Salifert Flatworm eXit
Flatworm eXit itself is safe for fish and invertebrates. However, the body fluids of flatworms can be toxic to some reef inhabitants when present in a too high concentration; this fluid is sometimes excreted when flatworms die.
When you use this product it is important to do the following first:
- Siphon out as many flatworms as possible.
- Keep sufficient fresh activated carbon in a canister ready.
- Turn off UV, ozone and remove activated carbon. Keep the skimmer turned on.
- Many people have treated their reef tank(s) successfully using Flatworm eXit without any problems. The most important factors are reducing the number of flatworms before commencing with the treatment and reducing the amount of the flatworm’s body fluids, released when they die, as fast as possible.
- Do not underestimate the number of flatworms in your system. In a few cases a significant number of flatworms can be hiding in crevices or caves. Blow into any potential hiding places to reveal and displace any flatworms--to do so you can use a powerhead or a turkey baster. Siphon out those flatworms as well.
- Do not underestimate the amount of toxic body fluids these flatworms can excrete. This can be reduced significantly by siphoning out as many flatworms as possible before commencing with the treatment, and siphoning out dead flatworms after treatment as well.
- Any body fluids released by the dead flatworms in the water have to be reduced further by using about 1 pound of fresh high quality carbon for every 50 gallons. The carbon has to be used in a canister with sufficient water flow.
- Take plenty of time when treating your tank and don't hurry. Also remember to monitor your tank for at least 6 hours after the treatment.
- It is wise to have at least 25% water ready for a water change if required.
Read all the above text before commencing with the treatment!
- 1 drop for every 4 liters or 1 gallon. The dropper contains approx. 300 drops (10 ml). The dropper cap holds approximately 90 drops. 1 cap full is good for 360 liters or 90 gallons.
- Add it in a high flow area of the tank. If you want to treat a refugium only and if it’s volume is too small for using a powerhead then mixing should be done manually.
- It should start to work within 30 minutes.
- If there is no visible flatworm death in 45 minutes, add 50% more.
- As soon as the flatworms start to die commence with the activated carbon to take out any toxic body fluids. See the important remarks above.
- After an hour or so you can turn any UV or ozone on again.
Keep out of the reach of children and pets. Only for aquarium hobby use.
We Also Recommend
35 ppt Salinity Calibration Solution Packs HI70024P (25 x 20 mL) - Hanna Instruments
EcoTech Marine VorTech MP40QD Propeller Pump w/ Wireless QuietDrive Driver - Mobius Ready