Scientific Name: Acanthurus nigricauda
- Care Level: Difficult
- Temperament: Semi-aggressive
- Life-span: 10 years or longer
- Reef Compatible: Yes
- Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
- Maximum Size: 1"4" (16 inches)
- Diet: Herbivore
- Minimum Tank Size: 200 gallons
The Epaulette Surgeonfish, also sometimes known as the Black Shoulder Tang or Eyeliner Tang, is one of the more peaceful surgeonfish species in the hobby, being less territorial, but its large size makes it suited only to aquarists with equally large tanks. It needs live rock and plenty of swimming room, as well as a strong pump with lots of water movement.
Though it will munch on carnivorous foods added to the aquarium for other fish, it requires seaweed and algae to thrive. Even though they school in the wild as juveniles, it should be the only surgeonfish in the tank.