Please contact us at email@example.com to confirm immediately availability. Livestock inventory subject to change and prior sale. Fish shipments may take several days to fulfill.
Scientific Name: Meiacanthus oualanensis
Origin: Indo-Pacific, Fiji
- Care Level: Moderate
- Temperament: Semi-aggressive
- Life-span: 2-4 years, possibly longer
- Reef Compatible: Yes
- Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
- Maximum Size: 5"
- Diet: Omnivore
- Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons
The Canary Blenny gets its name from its vibrant yellow coloring. Sometimes they may have a green tint to the top of their head, and males will generally go through color changes during breeding.
They need live rock to graze on and a sandy substrate. The tank should have a secure lid as they may jump when startled. It is a good choice for any reef tank or community fish tank, even with larger, more aggressive species as it will retaliate defensively against attackers with its envenomed fangs*. They cannot be housed with other blennies unless they are a mated pair. They should be fed a diet of mysis and brine shrimp as well as herbivorous preparations.
* = While their venomous bite is purely defensive and cannot kill a human, it is as painful as a bee or wasp sting and caution should be exercised. They should never be hand fed or housed in an area where children could possibly put their fingers in the tank.