Jack Dempsey Cichlid
Please contact us at email@example.com to confirm immediately availability. Livestock inventory is subject to change and prior sale. Fish shipments may take several days to fulfill.
The Jack Dempsey Rocio octofasciata (previously Cichlasoma octofasciatum) is a large and magnificently colored South American Cichlid. It is stocky and compact in shape but can grow to almost 10 inches (25 cm) in length.
A mature Jack Dempsey is a beautiful fish, but It it takes over a year for the full coloration and patterning to develop. The adult will have a dark purple-gray background contrasted with iridescent light blue, green, and gold spangle spots all over its body. Male Jack Dempsey's tend to have more of these brilliant spots than females, and also present bright red edges on their dorsal and anal fins. In addition to the baseline coloring, many captive bred color varieties have also been developed and are available today. One of the most notable and exotic is the Electric Blue Jack Dempsey.
- Scientific Name: Rocio octofasciata ( Previously Cichlasoma octofasciatum )
- Minimum Tank Size: 50 gal (189 L)
- Care Level: Easy
- Temperament: Semi-aggressive
- Water Conditions: 72.0 to 86.0° F (22.2 to 30.0° C), pH: 6.5-7.0
- Max. Size: 10.0 inches (25.40 cm)
- Color Form:
- Diet: Omnivore
- Origin: Central America, Honduras, Guatemala and the Yucatan.
- Family: Cichlidae
Images used on this site are for informational purposes only, for actual photos of livestock please contact us (877) 809-4067.