Known affectionately as Multies in the aquarium circle, these little shell dwellers are the smallest cichlid in the world. These fish are cream colored with narrow brown bars along their flanks, and reach an adult length of about 1.5 inches. On the sandy floors of Lake Tanganyika, these fish inhabit empty shells of the Neothauma snail, in the aquarium they will adapt and use a variety of other shells that you provide. The fish sleep, hide and spawn and raise fry in the shells. They have a lot of attitude for their size and will defend their territory ruthlessly.
- Scientific Name: Neolamprologus multifasciatus
- Minimum Tank Size: 29 Gallon tank with sand for substrate
- Care Level: Easy
- Temperament: Aggressive
- Water Conditions: 75-81°F (24-27°C), pH: 7.5-9.0, Hardness: 8-25°H
- Max. Size: Male to 1.8″ (4.5cm). Female to 1.4″ (3.5cm).
- Diet: Carnivore
- Origin: Lake Tanganyika in Africa
- Family: Pseudocrenilabrinae
Images used on this site are for informational purposes only, for actual photos of livestock please contact us (877) 809-4067.